Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dry and Weary Land

It's summer in Kansas. It's hot. Not just hot, but crazy hot. We've broken all kinds of records I'm sure for the most 100+ temperature days (I think we've had over 30 days now? I've lost count. And summer is far from over. Not only is it unbearably hot, (we barely get down to 80 at night!!) but it is dry. No.rain.all.year. Ok, so I heard someone say that we've had maybe 5 or so inches this year (including snowfall). When you are driving along, it is clearly a dry and thirsty land. Grass is dead. Trees are dying...with dead brittle leaves cluttering yards. Farmers have pretty much given up on all their wilted crops. Everything is brown and sad. I don't remember such a miserable summer as this. So what's the point of all this lamenting? Well, I was convicted today as I read scripture:
"O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
as in a dry and weary land
where there is no water."
Psalm 63:1
I had to stop and think...do I "thirst" and "long" for God as much as our land thirsts and longs for relief? I along with many others have been praying for rain and a break from the heat for a while now...but perhaps what God wants for us to be praying for is a desire to desperately thirst and long to know Him more on a daily basis {and not just when we are dry and weary}.

No comments: